Burundi has a regulation that made the ECTN certificate mandatory for all shipments to Burundi. If you don’t get this certificate, you will face severe consequences and a penalty. And since Burundi is a landlocked country, they generally use their East neighbors’ ports for maritime shipments. But if the cargos are coming from West Africa, you might have to get an ECTN certificate for the Democratic Republic of Congo or Cameroon as well.
Although it is a mandatory and crucial certificate, it is one of the most missed and overlooked certificates.
What is Burundi ECTN?
ECTN stands for Electronic Cargo Tracking Note. ECTN explains itself with its name. Because it gives authorities the ability and the information to track, manage, and supervise all the shipments from loading to discharge. It also supplies them with information about cargos before they even arrive at the destination. It contains information about the exporter, the importer, information about the goods getting transported and their value, the cost of the freight, the type of shipment, the name of the vessel, etc.
What are the required documents?
- Bill of Lading: It contains details about the exporter, the importer, the weight of the goods, the shipping line, the vessel name, etc.
- Commercial Invoice: It contains the details of the goods, the freight cost, the incoterm, and some other charges if there is any, etc.freight cost, etc.
- Freight Invoice: This is only required if the freight cost is not on the commercial invoice.
- Export Customs Declaration: Customs Officials of the exporter country prepares this document, and it lists the goods getting transported and contains some important details of them.
- Packing List: This document contains all the details of the goods, especially the total weight.
What are the consequences of not having it?
The ECTN must be validated five days before the ship’s arrival at the latest. If it isn’t validated, by then, you will be facing twice the amount of the cost of the ECTN plus the regulation charges determined by the Burundi National Port Officials.
Certificate cost depends on the number of Bill of Ladings and the containers, the country of origin, the port of discharge, etc. This is why we can’t give you an exact price for the CTN. But if you share your shipment’s details with us we can provide you the best charges for your certificate. We offer free quotation.